Board Index  •  HaloBabies.net  •  LarrytheMarine.net FAQ     

All times are UTC

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Legendary Pack Review... YES I LIKE AVALANCHE
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Gamertag: the smi1ey
UPDATE 2:
I'm added this as a reply, but no one has seemed to have read it, so I'm adding it here.

Quote:
So I finally played a full-fledged 6 on 6 CTF match on Avalanche. I take back some of what I said. The mancannons do provide for some good fun. But... I have a new complaint...

THE HORNET SUCKS!

It's basically good for transporting, and that's about it. A battle between two hornets takes like 30 seconds of straight shooting each other because the machine gun is so WEAK! I could barely even kill people on the ground!

UPDATE: I added a few screens (mainly of Ghost Town) to my B.net Profile. I wanted to add the whole games to my fileshare for people to view, but apparently you can't do that?

So, having played a few games on the 3 new maps, I think I'm ok in giving a brief early review of the maps. When I get a moment in the next day or two, I'll post the two games I played with Frankie on Blackout and Ghost Town for you guys to enjoy on my fileshare. :)

Blackout
It's Lockout. At night.

Literally, that pretty much sums this map up. It sticks very very close to the original Halo 2 classic map that is beloved by most, and hated by some. The night setting actually does have a subtle effect on gameplay, and in general, your psyche. The setting is incredible, and the feeling of cold and isolation is uncanny. All around, this is probably the most solid addition, mainly because the original was also so solid!

Avalanche
It's Sidewinder. Not.

Sadly, out of the 3 maps, this was the only disappointment for me. I'll start with the good: IT FEELS FRICKEN COLD. Seriously. I was expecting to breath steam just from walking around this massive level. The visuals are pretty stunning to say the least, and the sound is incredible! That said, I just don't see this map being a success in matchmaking playlists. Why?

MANCANNONS EVERYWHERE.

There is a cannon that boosts you literally right on top of the base's flag, and then another one to boost right back out immediately! There are other mancannons in other areas as well. And I dunno... just feels a bit overdone? I mean wasn't that one of the strategies of the original map? The fact that it was LARGE. So you had to rely on sniping or vehicles alot. I suppose I can see why Bungie wanted to make it easier to get around on foot, but I think it makes things seem a bit silly.

I like how the took out the whole middle part of the level. I think the new version is MUCH better. The new bases are also visually impressive inside, and I think will for intense battles since the attacker is moving up hill the whole way to the top for the flag. (there are no ladders or lifts, only ramps) All in all I think this maps looks cool, but it just feels really busy compared to it's forefather. Time will tell.

Ghost Town
It's a town. It was a town. In the jungle.

Visually. Incredible. This map had to have been the one Bungie spent the most time one. The attention to detail is phenomenal. Think the first level of Halo 3... but even more detailed and as a multiplayer map. Seriously. Once I actually figured out where I was on the map, it was fairly easy to hope from building to building... in any way I wanted.

This map gives you SO many paths to take. Go under a building, through it, around it, or over! Although it's midsize closed in map, the streets are an excellent place to get sniped (by KP, that -blam!-), and the many rooms of the multiple buildings are great for close encounters. This map is hands down my fav out of the 3. Funny thing is, from all the screen shots, I thought this was gonna be my least favorite!

So that's it. Hopefully this review was interesting and informative. When the new maps are released (or right now if you're Caboose0 or NthroSptn!) feel free to leave your own opinion!

hhhmmmmm...

Post subject: Re: Legendary Pack Review
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:01 pm 
Xbox 360 Enthusiast

Gamertag: Preacher x Pain
I had a bad feeling that Avalanche wouldn't be as good as hoped. I do not like man cannons that much. The teleporters were a huge part of Sidewinder.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:14 am 
Chaotic Neutral

Gamertag: NthroSptn
Forge can fix that easily enough you know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 am 
Site Admin

NthroSptn wrote:
Forge can fix that easily enough you know.

you can move/remove the man cannons? they looked pretty built in to me.

hhhmmmmm...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:41 am 

Gamertag: Satanator
Bungie mentioned immovable crates and some new barriers.

Plug 'em up?

He that destroys a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:07 am 
Chaotic Neutral

Gamertag: NthroSptn
Hm.. I haven't had a chance to try, Smiley.

Still there are plenty of other deterrents I could think up >:3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:14 am 

Gamertag: Caboose0
Blackout:
I love this map. I loved Lockout and what I thought were flaws in Lockout have been addressed and fixed in Blackout.

Avalanche:
Even though it doesn't really have the same feel as Sidewinder, I think it is a good map with a large enough party, maybe 12+. Yes the man cannons are everywhere, but it adds a little more danger while getting around the map.

Ghost Town:
One of my favorite Halo 3 maps now. The fact that you could access multiple levels fairly quickly, makes it great in my books. You might never expect where your enemy will pop out of.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:32 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the add on, Caboose0. I suppose I can see how the mancannons would definitely make you watch your back (nothing like BR fire from above, eh?). And after reading the Legendary Humpday I can definitely see how they can be fun. I still think they will end up being more gimmicky than anything. Either way I really look forward to a large-scale battle on Avalanche!

hhhmmmmm...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:38 pm 

Gamertag: ZeeV70
Seems like an Energy Blocker placed in front of the mancannons via
the "Save and Quit" method in Forge could resolve the problem on Avalanche, or even just use a blocker to block the area where you fly in to the flag area. All I know is that I'm looking forward to flying a Chopper through one... or possibly just hiding with the Wraith and blasting anyone who tries to fly in a mancannon on our side.

Blackout looks good--Lockout wasn't my favorite in Halo 2, but it was nice. I'm just looking forward to the fact that it has both Spikers and Swords... and death barriers everywhere.

Infection on Ghost Town with an Old Timey Forge Filter on. Humans has Shotguns, Zombies have Swords.
Nao.

It now takes you to a new, updated link, that gives you Assassin Armor! Double srs!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

So I finally played a full-fledged 6 on 6 CTF match on Avalanche. I take back some of what I said. The mancannons do provide for some good fun. But... I have a new complaint...

THE HORNET SUCKS!

It's basically good for transporting, and that's about it. A battle between two hornets takes like 30 seconds of straight shooting each other because the machine gun is so WEAK! I could barely even kill people on the ground!

hhhmmmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:44 am 

Gamertag: Caboose0
mrsmiley wrote:

THE HORNET SUCKS!

That is true. The Hornet has been nerfed a substantial amount. My only gripe really. I just replaced it with a Banshee.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:24 am 

Gamertag: Geeraff
Does anyone feel that Ghost Town feels like a Call of Duty 4 type of map? It reminds me of Crash, Overgrown, and maybe a little bit of Vacant.

Blackout made me feel right at home when I was playing...

Avalanche doesn't look promising, but I'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:50 am 
Site Admin

Geeraff wrote:
Does anyone feel that Ghost Town feels like a Call of Duty 4 type of map? It reminds me of Crash, Overgrown, and maybe a little bit of Vacant.

YES!!! That's why I love it so much. :)

hhhmmmmm...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:04 am 

Gamertag: Geeraff
mrsmiley wrote:
Geeraff wrote:

YES!!! That's why I love it so much. :)

It's a great map. And I played Avalanche. And the only word I can think of to describe it is Hectic. It's really really hectic. Which makes it awesome in my book. The hornet's a beast against wraiths with no gunners.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:42 am 
Made of win

Gamertag: bmach
Here's a quick summary of what I think of each new map:

Blackout: I feel right at home here. It's a tad more spacious than Lockout was, but that actually makes it a bit better. The dark setting also makes it feel a lot creepier and desolate. Basically, it's Lockout, but darker and slightly bigger. What does that mean? It means this one's a winner!

Avalanche: Sidewinder this is not. Although no remake will ever be as epic as Sidewinder was in the first Halo, this one stacks up rather well. The man cannons don't bother me as much as I thought they would judging by smiley's review. Without them I'd have probably gotten owned a lot more. To sum it up, it's a good homage to Sidewinder, but it feels... easier. It's not the vast beast that Sidewinder was. Multi-flag is great on it though!

Ghost Town: It was a little hard to get used to this map at first for some reason. There are just so many nooks and crannies that a 7 foot tall walking talk can explore. Like Geeraf said, this feels a little like something out of Call of Duty 4. This map hasn't quite grown on me yet, but my Team Slayer matches on it have been fairly enjoyable thus far. It's my least favourite of the three new maps, but that's not saying much since they're all great.

Pick up that can.

ಠ_ಠ

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next